What does it take to make a sale?
The prospect has to want what you are selling more than:
1. any other possible purchase for that amount
2. any possible competitor’s product
3. the peace-of-mind of holding onto the money
What does a prospect stand to lose when he decides to buy?
1. the amount spent
2. delay in benefits purchase can bring
3. time to do process again
4. all other options the money could have bought
5. face, reputation, advancement, respect of staff
6. emotional distress
7. increased debt if financed
8. reduction in apparent profits which could mean loss of bonuses
9. goodwill with the board if they don’t like spending
Is it any wonder that prospect’s stall and hesitate? You can see it on their face and hear it in their voice, the agonizing indecision and resulting anxiety. The only cure is the ability to foresee the future and that’s not going to happen.
Why will they risk it?
1. they must change – immediate needs
2. they value desired outcomes high enough
3. they have a high enough tolerance for risk
You can see that the buying decision is about a lot more than your product.